Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Waters Have Receded! :)

Once we saw that the waters were still 3 feet over the bridge yesterday we re-scheduled Mandy's important doctor's appointment to tomorrow morning, hoping the bridge would be passable by then. Last night when we went to check on the bridge, a local Mennonite was driving folks and their cars back and forth through the flooded bridge with his tractor and goose neck trailer. I am NOT kidding! For $20 you could catch the John Deere ferry 'cross the river. How he could even see the railings of the bridge which laid under the water I will never know. The rushing water mid stream was intense. We couldn't believe how risky it looked! But then again, we don't have much experience with things like this. I only *wish* I would have had the camera! Today, the scene was much more mild.









Traffic, which had been stuck on either side of the river for a full week, flowed freely over the bridge. It was still too deep for us to comfortably pass but we could tell that Lord willing, by tomorrow morning our van will most likely be able to pass also.



2 comments:

www.babyhomepages.net/tenlittleinions said...

I agree, this is still crazy.

He offered you $20? By the evening it increased to $25. :-) I have pictures I will try to post.

Glad to know it will be clear tomorrow that is, if we get no more rain tonight. Please Lord, let us out!

McDonald Family said...

(smiles)
I do know he was working hard though! And diesel is pretty steep I guess.. I have to admit, when we heard about it, we were tempted to take part in order to get Mandy to her doc.. but it just wasn't a chance we thought we should take! BLessings, K