Saturday, June 28, 2014

A Wagon Ride & Sweet Encouragement

This particular Sunday we headed out to the community which lies about 45 minutes south of Spanish Lookout. The guys always enjoy sitting around the table and studying the Word of God together. We got there particularly early that day so that Peter could take Grady a few miles away to an  Englishman's house who had offered Grady help with immigration/permit questions..
 
Hitchin' up the horse
 
Off they go!
 
Some folks heading home from church
 
Laura and Gracie chase the chickens! No ticks this time please laura!
 
Edwin helps an orphaned parrot
 
The three amigos! They have WAAAYY too much fun, heading out into the jungle and hunting for gibnut and quash, constructing their palm Mayan house among the cohune and coconut trees, harvesting nuts, climbing trees and overall being wild jungle men! :-)
 
Our friend with the new baby..
 
He had grown so much in two weeks since we had taken her to the clinic for the delivery!
 
Precious
 
 
Mandy doing crowd control!
 
This is such a great kitchen! The wood stove is used for all the cooking.. no fridge here or even a kitchen sink. They use a simple handle and water pipe for running water and huge stainless bowls to wash dishes in.
 
Here Ashley is standing in the new concrete cellar where our friends were showing us the 1,000 lbs of pineapple they had just canned!
 
 
Miss D shows Laura her drawer of special things
 
Swinging on the screened-in porch is always a highlight of visiting.. on this particular day I was sharing some of my anxiety about our future in Belize with my sister. Between permit issues, dwindling savings and Amanda going downhill physically.. it seems the Lord is closing the door for our family to be in Belize long term.
 
 
 
My sister rifled through her old Mennonite song books and found this one for me to encourage my heart. The Lord has blessed me so much to have such special friends.. who would think in the middle of the jungles of Belize we could find such kindred friends? There are so many of them here.. if we do leave, our hearts will ache with homesickness for all of them...
 
What though before me all is dark.
Why should I long to see?
If God gives light for one step more
'Tis quite enough for me.
 
I find each onward step I take,
The gloom clears from the next,
And though 'tis very dark beyond,
Why should I be perplexed?
 
If mercy veils my fate from me
Why should I murmuring go?
My present lot might harder be
Did I the future know.
 
With childish faith I'll walk along
My path while here I dwell,
And trust my future lot with him,
Who doeth all things well.
 
Thus step by step I'll travel on,
Not looking far before
trusting that I shall always have
Just light for one step more.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello from a sister in Scotland!
I thought I would leave a comment as you haven't had any for a while. I have been very blessed by reading your blog (for quite a while now) and wanted to encourage you as you seek to do the Lord's work.

"The God of our fathers hath chosen thee, that thou shouldest know his will, and see that Just One, and shouldest hear the voice of his mouth." Acts 22:14

Pioneer Mom said...

I just met Damaris' new baby yesterday too. It is a joy for me to see little babies thrive! I hope you find answers soon, same as we are looking for answers for ourselves, even if we have very different situations.

McDonald Family said...

Greetings Ruth! Thank you so much for the comment and kind words. May the Lord richly bless you! Hugs!

Annie- yes they are such a sweet little family. Continuing to pray for peace and wisdom for you. It has been a blessing to know you.