Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Birthday That Almost Wasn't..



Happy Birthday Ashley!


Psalm 139:13-16 (New Living Translation)

13 You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother’s womb. 14 Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it. 15 You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion, as I was woven together in the dark of the womb. 16 You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed.








The Birthday that almost wasn't..

I can't let this day pass without sharing this.. 18 years and 7 months ago found me pregnant and not married. The doctor who saw me insisted that I have an abortion because I had been on medication when I conceived. He told me that this certain medication would cause my baby to not develop any limbs or major organs and that eventually would be born dead. I was crushed. I had never believed in abortion.. but now found myself having to make an appointment at a clinic for the 'sake of my baby'. No one but Grady, myself and my mother knew what was happening in our lives.. but for some unknown reason, nudged by our Lord almighty, my mother contacted my father and step-mother whom she never talked to, to let them in on our situation. My step-mother quickly jumped on the phone and found out that there had been NO conclusive evidence either way as to the effects of this specific drug on fetuses. It was simply too new to know. It was my birthday 1991 and I was literally walking out the door to the clinic for the abortion when the phone rang.. Barb begged me not to go through with it and to please do a bit more research before making a decision.. I listened and our precious daughter Ashley Elizabeth was born 7 months and 14 days later. Grady and I were married before she came and the Lord used my pregnancy and her life to draw us to himself.

Oh Lord, thank you for saving our baby! My precious Ashley....
I thank you Lord that you saved her and have a very special plan for her LIFE~

4 comments:

Amylynn said...

(((((((((Oh, Kel))))))))))

I am sitting here in tears. Thank you so much for posting this. I Praise the Lord with you for your beautiful and precious daughter, Ashley. I know the Lord has a wonderful plan for her.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ASHLEY!!! :)
Love,
John, Amy and the girls

Debbie said...

Kelly, thank you for sharing this testimony to the lovingkindness, grace and mercy of God. Oh, how we need Him! I pray His continued blessing on all of you. Your family is a sweet light wherever you go.

With love,
Debbie

MPBands said...

I was there. I remember it well. What Ashley doesn't know (and probably nobody else does either) is that every single year for the past 18 years I always know when it's the 15th of Octber and every single year I have flash backs to sitting gaurd in the hallway at the hospital praying for the first time in my life and the moment that I saw Kelly and Ashley together...Breath taking. It made me cry then, and it has made me cry every Oct. 15th ever since.
Happy Birthday Ashley! Surprise Honney...I'll bet ya had no idea your Aunt Keira had such a soft spot for you. I STILL feel protective of you!
LOL
love you- Keira

Amy said...

Thank you for sharing this Kelly. It's a beautiful testiment to God's love. And what a light to the world your family is.

Ashley is so lovely.

Amy L.